Thank you for your interest. Below I discuss the different facets of “The Meditating Entrepreneurs” and how you can participate. (Last revised July 8, 2015)
- 1 Background of this website and book
- 2 Simple guidelines for your slideshow page and blog submissions
- 3 How to be in the home page slideshow with your own page
- 4 Blog at MeditatingEntrepreneur.com
- 5 Help me with social media
- 6 Soon (I hope) we’ll start a Meditating Entrepreneur Podcast/Videocast
- 7 About the upcoming book: The Meditating Entrepreneurs: Creating Success from Silence
- 8 Helping with the Website
- 9 Contact me
Background of this website and book
Inspiration for this website
In March 2012-2015 I taught an undergrad course The Successful Entrepreneur – Integrating Inner Fulfillment and Outer Success at Maharishi University of Management (MUM). As part of the course, each afternoon I invited a local guest entrepreneur to share their story and wisdom.
This idea for this site and upcoming book grew from listening to the inspiring stories of fellow entrepreneurs and seeing the powerful effect it had on the students.
Purpose of this website
- to inspire and provide wisdom to those who want to start and run businesses, and who are familiar with their inner silence — pure consciousness.
- to acknowledge those who had the courage to follow their heart and make the unorthodox move to Fairfield, Iowa in order to create a better world, and who in the process ended up starting businesses.
- to encourage non-meditators to start TM and to inspire existing meditators to meditate regularly and take advanced courses.
Future of this website
For this website to achieve its purpose and express the power of the class, most of the content will come from fellow meditating entrepreneurs. Here is what I hope to see over the next year or two.
- Blogging (For maximum effectiveness and visibility, I’d like to see 3 to 5 quality new posts from different meditating entrepreneurs each week.)
- More entrepreneur biographies and wisdom, linked from home page slide (I’d like to see at least 100 in the slideshow.)
- Video and audio interviews (I’d like a weekly podcast)
- If the book is successful, additional volumes about other entrepreneurs.
- Weekly email newsletter, and perhaps eventually daily tips newsletter.
By 2018 I would like this site to be offering products (books, online courses, coaching, site memberships, masterminds, etc) so the site is profitable, self-sustaining and doesn’t depend on my efforts.
I am absorbing all start-up time costs including those to support this website, podcasts, book production, and book marketing.
All proceeds from the book minus significant out-of-pocket expenses will be donated to MUM. In addition, 10% of any profits accrued from future book volumes or this website will be donated to MUM.
I have several former students who help me on a volunteer basis.
This site and the T.M. organization
Each of us moved to Fairfield because of Maharishi. His knowledge played a unique and fundamental role launching and running our businesses.
As we matured, each of us evolved our own relationship to and understanding of Maharishi’s knowledge.
MeditatingEntrepreneur.com and my upcoming book, The Meditating Entrepreneurs, communicate those understandings as they got expressed in our lives and businesses. In order for each of us to feel free to share our unique perspectives, the site is completely independent of MUM and the TM organization. Executive level MUM faculty are aware of the site, and a number of the faculty have encouraged me.
Simple guidelines for your slideshow page and blog submissions
- How to submit: You can submit the information via email, Google Doc, Word, or ask for a WordPress login. You can use Markdown if you are familiar with it.
- Edit before submitting: IMPORTANT
- Please make sure your content clear, the way you want it, and grammatically correct.
- Although, I’ll probably do a little editing, best to submit with the expectation that I will publish as is.
- Minimal formatting: Don’t worry much about formatting. You can include subheads, bold and italic.
- My edit before publishing: I may edit your submission before posting it. I may also ask you to add or change something. I’ll contact you for your final OK.
- Your optional WordPress logon: If you are comfortable using the basic WordPress editor, you may enter and update your information directly. I’ll send you a logon. (At first, I’ll still OK it, before publishing it).
- Submitting graphics: Always submit any graphics as a separate attachment. You can embed graphics in your document, but only to show placement.
- Submitting video and other multimedia: It is very easy to embed YouTube videos in WordPress. All I need is the link. We will have to handle other content on a case by case basis.
- Your patience and understanding: This is uncharted territory. Thank you!
How to be in the home page slideshow with your own page
Each photo on the home page slideshow links to a page about the entrepreneur. Here are the examples of entrepreneur pages.
I look forward to see how these pages evolve. Basically, the page is yours. You can include text, graphics, audio, or video to communicate your wisdom, your story, or your personal or company brand.
Criteria for being featured in the slideshow
- you practice the TM and TM-Sidhi program
- you started or grew a business in Fairfield
- you want to be included in the website
Standard 2 may be relaxed on a case by case basis.
What to send me to be in the slideshow
- Photo that we can reduce to 375 by 325 pixels*
- 5-10 short practical wisdom quotes, such as what you see on each home page slide
- If you spoke in my class, I have the student’s “appealing points” from your talk that I can send you.
- Please indicate which quote you’d like to appear on your home page slide.
- You can save me a few minutes by putting each quote in quote marks and italic.
- A brief, strong, engaging summary such as appears in bold at the start of each entrepreneur page (around 15-30 words)
- Information about you, your company, your story, whatever you wish to share
- You may include your bio, your entrepreneurial story, website URLs, audio, YouTube links, company name and information, and pretty much say what you want.
- No limits as to length.
- As with blogs below, although I reserve the right to filter, edit, or give you feedback; most likely I will post whatever you send
- Before publishing your page, I’ll get your final OK.
- *Note that Gde Brawiswara Putra, a former student and professional photographer, has volunteered to photograph you or your company on site for the website.
Blog at MeditatingEntrepreneur.com
Your blog posts will make the site great
What made my MUM Successful Entrepreneur class solid was my content and organization. What made it great was the talks each day from Fairfield meditating entrepreneurs.
Similarly, what will make this site great is your participation.
Standards for blog posts
At this point I don’t want to set specific standards for blog submission. The criteria I use for creating my posts is
- what I would have found helpful or inspiring when I began my business
- what I am inspired to write about
What to submit
Feel free to bounce ideas off me or share an outline for feedback before writing your blog.
You are also welcome to just go for it and send me your post.
It’s fine for you to recycle other material you have used, probably tweaking it at least a little.
Your content live on the site
Although I may filter, edit, or give you feedback; most likely I will post whatever you send. If you are unsure send me your idea or outline. Assume that I will publish your content as you send it.
I’ll get your final OK before publishing.
Frequency (up to you)
I will also accept posts whenever you wish to send me something. However, to increase the probability of your participating, I suggest committing to some frequency. This could be weekly, monthly, quarterly, whatever you decide.
At this point I am active only on Twitter, and I’m still getting up to speed how to best use it. (@halgoldstein), https://twitter.com/HalGoldstein
I could use all the help you can provide promoting the site through your channels and helping me get going in Facebook, LinkedIn, GooglePlus, Instagram, Youtube, etc.
I do have established Facebook and LinkedIn accounts, but as of July 1, 2015, I haven’t used them yet for promotion.
Please friend my personal Facebook account and like the Facebook meditatingentrepreneur page, and link to me in LinkedIN.
Please be sure to contact me if you want to help in any way.
Soon (I hope) we’ll start a Meditating Entrepreneur Podcast/Videocast
My current thinking is that we will videotape 45 minute interviews that I will conduct at KRUU. The interviews will be distributed via KRUU, podcast channels, and YouTube.
If you are interested in conducting some of the interviews, contact me.
I am open to your feedback and help.
About the upcoming book: The Meditating Entrepreneurs: Creating Success from Silence
The subtitle changes daily depending on my mood. (The title isn’t in stone, but it will probably stay). Here are current subtitle favorites. Your input or ideas welcome:
- Creating Success from Silence
- Creating Success from the Inside Out
- Create Wealth from Inner Silence
- Creating Wealth from Inner Silence
- Creating Success and Self-Realization
- Empowering stories of men and women who moved to Iowa for enlightenment and world peace, and who created successful businesses from nothingness. [I have lots of variations of this one]
Criteria for being featured in the Book
To keep volume 1 of the book a reasonable size, I must limit the number of entrepreneurs to between 15 and 25. What follows are my fuzzy and arbitrary considerations in choosing which entrepreneurs to feature:
- The amount of time that it will take me to write the story. That means initial preference will be given to
- entrepreneurs who spoke in my MUM The Successful Entrepreneur course (the talks have been transcribed. If you spoke twice, I have more to work with)
- entrepreneurs who work closely with me and submit their own content
- entrepreneurs who have websites or books that can be easily transformed into content for my book.
- Whether you can significantly help me promote or produce the book
- How compelling the story
What to do to be in the book
- Read synopsis and sample chapters
- Read the fuzzy and arbitrary criteria above
- Talk me into it 472-9595
Helping with the Website
This site is intended to be the central hub for all biographies, blogs, social media, podcasts, books and so forth.
Accordingly, I have devoted quite a bit of time laying the framework and tweaking the look of this site, doing most of the website work myself. Fortunately, I recently found a service that for a reasonable monthly fee, makes unlimited technical design changes and proactively watches for amateur mistakes.
In that context I am completely open to feedback and assistance with the content or look of this WordPress site.
In particular I can always use editing help.
Please feel free to contact me with any and questions, suggestions or concerns.