From 2012-2016 each March , I (Hal Goldstein) taught and intensive month-long, five-and-one-half day a week course on entrepreneurship: The Successful Entrepreneur — Integrating Inner Fulfillment and Outer Success to Live 200% of Life at Maharishi University of Management.
In the mornings I spoke. In the afternoons, I invited local entrepreneurs to share their story and wisdom. The Table of Contents contains topics and main points from my morning lectures.
Purpose of Course
The purpose of the course was to inspire young people to possibly start their own businesses. The undergrads often had no business knowledge or experience, and they differed in age, experience, and socioeconomic background and came from all over the world. Local entrepreneurs, who successfully launched businesses from nothing, came to class and shared their real-world stories.
Context for the Course
- In 1979 Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, founder of the Transcendental Meditation program and MUM, asked all meditators and “sidhas” (advanced meditators) to move to Fairfield, Iowa to create world peace. ( Various scientific research studies have demonstrated the positive effect of a large group of TM meditators.)
- Consequently, many moved to Fairfield in the 1980’s. To be able to stay in Fairfield, a number of us, often with no business background, created businesses.
- In 1985 I created a publishing company that focussed on mobile computers and a company that sold refurbished mobile computers. I am semi-retired partner of iPhone Life magazine, Usedhandhelds.com, and MagWizard publishing software.
- This course tells the story how many of us successfully created businesses starting from nothing.
- I promised students that if they gave the course their best and listened and absorbed the wisdom from the various speakers, this course would change their life. The feedback I received during and after the courses, validated my assertion.
Structure of Lecture Notes
- All courses at Maharishi University of Management use a similar format for lectures.
- The title, subtitle and “wholeness” give a big picture overview of the course.
- The “Main Points” contain the main topics of the lecture.
- The Unity Chart always begins with “CONNECTING THE PARTS OF KNOWLEDGE
WITH THE WHOLENESS OF KNOWLEDGE.” In it the knowledge of the lecture is expressed from four levels of reality.
- The Surface and Subtle levels are the concrete and more abstract summaries of the lecture. (The more abstract, the more powerful and universal the idea).
- The Transcendental level is the level of Pure Consciousness, the absolute, unmoving Self (unified field in physics) from which all of creation springs.
- The Unity Consciousness level is from the level in which material and spiritual are part of a whole that moves within itself.
- In general all material in italics (subtitle, main points, unity chart) describe how consciousness (pure field of Creative Intelligence) expresses itself in the topic. This information is based on the teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The non-italic text describes the topic in a more traditional objective, academic manner.
- All lectures are normally related to the Unified Field Chart (see below) which summarizes in graphical form the manifest and unmanifest wholeness of discipline.
About Maharishi University of Management (MUM)
MUM was founded in 1972 and moved to Fairfield, Iowa in 1974.
Courses taught at Maharishi International University (MUM) are unique:
- All students, administrators, and faculty practice the Transcendental Meditation (TM) program at least twice a day for 20 minutes.
- MUM students take one class at a time with classes Mon-Fri morning and afternoon and Saturday morning. The 2012 Successful Entrepreneur class was two weeks and 2013 was four weeks
- The experience and knowledge of “Pure Consciousness” from the TM program is integrated into each academic discipline. That is, the fundamental premise of the university is that all thought, and hence all knowledge has its origin in “Beingness”, “Pure consciousness”. Therefore, the understanding and experience of Pure Consciousness is fundamental to every academic discipline from math to literature to entrepreneurship.
- The understanding of how Pure Consciousness (Pure Field of Creative Intelligence) manifests as the different academic disciplines is based on the teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Maharishi posits that traditional western education focuses on only the objective aspect of knowledge. However, for knowledge to be complete, the knower and the process of knowing, must accompany the objective known. Maharishi explains in a 4:00 minute excerpt from a talk: “There are two sides to knowledge: the object of knowledge and the subject of knowledge, the knower. What present education provides is the knowledge of the object. What it misses is the knowledge of the subject, the knowledge of the knower.”
- A Unified Field Chart that summarizes this three in one aspect of knowledge accompanies each discipline at Maharishi University of Management